DT Pixel Flow
NEXT-GEN PROPRIETARY WORKFLOW SOFTWARE
DT PixelFlow streamlines the capture and enhancement of digital assets
The partners at Pixel Acuity have accumulated over half a century of hands-on experience digitizing cultural heritage in all its forms, from renowned collections both large and small. This deep expertise is reflected in our next-generation proprietary workflow software, DT PixelFlow, which leverages artificial intelligence and a multivariate processing pipeline to deliver best-in-class optical character reading, metadata and deliverables.
We start by capturing the highest-quality and most consistent images of the material – the better the input, the better the output. So we use RAW rapid capture photography to surpass preservation-grade digitization standards such as FADGI, Metamorfoze, and ISO 19264. This enables us to preserve all of the information recorded by the camera sensor without applying compression or losing any information.
DT PixelFlow’s modular design and raw-file underpinnings enable highly-customizable project-based technical requirements such as file naming, folder structures, and file formats. It enhances capture with both traditional and AI metadata and analysis with its advanced OCR engine focused on the unique challenges of historic collections. The software’s facial recognition engine can also identify notable individuals in photographic collections. Finally, DT CloudFlow, our own cloud-based online portal provides access to your team for remote quality control. These highly developed features enable DT PixelFlow to deliver preservation-grade assets that meet your exact specifications, consistently and efficiently, while seamlessly adapting to your unique processing pipeline.
Advanced Digitization Workflows for All Applications
OCR DELIVERS SEARCHABLE TEXT
One of DT PixelFlow’s most impactful innovations is the use of next-generation Optical Character Recognition to turn typed and handwritten documents into searchable text in multiple languages and output formats. It’s a game changer for challenging historic collections containing faded handwritten correspondence, early printed material with esoteric typefaces, manuscripts in cursive, and texts that are faded or in poor condition.
We have the flexibility to create a controlled, topic-specific vocabulary, depending on the needs of the collection, which can be used to further increase the specificity and accuracy of the resulting text.
We can even generate highly-accurate OCR’d text in multiple languages and output formats. Our machine-learning approach is a superior strategy for Cultural Heritage institutions who have long experienced subpar results from the legacy OCR applications designed primarily for modern office material.
METADATA ENRICHES YOUR COLLECTION
For Cultural Heritage professionals, metadata provides invaluable descriptive information about an object or resource, allowing collections managers to organize their data and collection information, and scholars and researchers to search a collection for specific information. While metadata generation can be costly in terms of time, labor, and resources, it is crucial to capturing the context of items within a digital collection.
DT PixelFlow scripting automates the often arduous processes of metadata embedding and creation, minimizing cost and labor for your institution, while increasing accuracy and flexibility. Using RAW rapid capture imaging, DT PixelFlow allows us to embed metadata in the digital file at or after the time of creation — in almost all derivative formats including TIFFs, JPEGs, PDFs, and PDF/As — and then maintain it in a centralized location such as a database, DAM, CMS, or spreadsheet.
Image courtesy of the Andy Warhol Photography Archive, Cantor Arts Center, Stanford University
AI ASSISTS METADATA WORKFLOWS
Artificial Intelligence promises to be an enormously useful tool for cultural heritage preservation, and Pixel Acuity is at the forefront of leveraging AI to assist metadata workflows. Gathering metadata for a collection is not only time-consuming and labor-intensive, but it often involves the individual knowledge and experience of one person. Along with creating digital preservation-grade derivatives and deliverables, DT PixelFlow can use artificial intelligence to describe an item’s material, text, and image content while also identifying whether manual intervention is necessary to provide human quality control on top of the automatic detection provided by AI.
- Material: While the material type is a common metadata field, it is often automatically generated with more generic information, such as text or film. By implementing AI analysis, DT PixelFlow can automatically suggest the material type and item categories with a greater depth of detail.
- Text: Along with providing OCR, DT PixelFlow is able to provide a deeper analysis of the text and written content of an image to provide valuable contextual information, such as recognizing an address, formulaic greeting, or date from a string of numbers and text. It can even understand the conveyed sentiment and style of the text, interpreting the emotions behind them.
- Image: Artificial intelligence can identify objects and individuals inside photographic or pictorial collections. We can provide object detection and/or face detection in DT PixelFlow, enabling us to isolate and identify both objects in the foreground and those less prominent in the image
DELIVERABLES AND PACKAGING OFFER FLEXIBILITY
DT PixelFlow allows us to automate time-consuming processing steps and tailor file deliveries and directories to the needs of our clients. It enables us to produce a wide array of file types, color profiles, additive metadata, OCR and file validations, with file packaging based on the needs of the institution. Some clients prefer a specific hierarchical structure that adheres to their internal organizational structures or Digital Asset Management System, while others prefer a structure broken down by file type. By capturing images using RAW rapid capture and automating derivative generation, output directory structures, and deliverable packaging, we are able to offer a wide range of deliverables, including PDF, PDF/A, a METS/ALTO sidecar xml, and txt files.
DT CLOUDFLOW ENABLES REMOTE QC
Pixel Acuity has closed the loop on quality control by building our own cloud-based OCR QC platform. DT CloudFlow can provide remote access to your work-from-home employees through a cloud-based portal, to aid in the correction and approval of the OCR’d text. This answer to QC management allows your team to access a private network remotely for project management, quality control, and delivery.
COMPLETE END-TO-END SYSTEMS
Industry-Leading Imaging Technology
Our worldwide client base of major Cultural Heritage institutions knows Pixel Acuity as the authority on digitization, with an in-depth understanding of the issues and challenges of working with your collections. Pixel Acuity offers specialized skills, techniques and workflow experience, combined with advanced digitization technology purpose-built by our hardware division DT Heritage. Together, our team of experts in hardware, software, services and workflow optimization work hand-in-hand to deliver a seamless experience for Cultural Heritage imaging projects of every possible scope.
We fully appreciate the importance of blending seamlessly into your institution’s daily operations, and can digitize your artifacts in our own facility, or on your own site if they can’t be moved from their permanent location. Our digitization hardware, and software enabled by artificial intelligence and other advanced technologies, are designed to work together smoothly with carefully optimized workflows developed specifically for Cultural Heritage.
- Custom-engineered rapid-capture systems create an ultra-high-resolution digital copy of your collection quickly and systematically. We use best practices for consistent capture technique, with the highest level of lens and sensor quality. The result: maximizing quality, minimize cost and radically shorten the time required.
- Pixel Acuity’s DT PixelFlow software enables our team to make the most of your digital assets by extracting, analyzing, and transcribing text using optical character recognition and applying artificial intelligence capabilities to provide facial, object, and geographic descriptive metadata information, while DT CloudFlow provides a cloud-based OCR QC platform for remote access.
- By combining DT Heritage hardware solutions, Pixel Acuity’s artificial intelligence (AI) processing software, and our team’s expertise, we can digitize anything at a level of detail you cannot get anywhere else.
MAKE YOUR ASSETS WORK FOR YOU
Find new value in your cultural heritage
Digitization is the key to uncovering the value from artifacts in libraries, archives, natural history and art museums, media and entertainment, sports franchises, and many other fields. The beauty of digital assets is that they are clearly differentiated, unique, endlessly reusable, and ideally suited to the digital and social media age. By digitizing your Cultural Heritage collection and adding the assets to your content management system you can turn those precious items into new value … and create a digital record of your history in the process!