Museums & Institutions
THE ART AND SCIENCE OF IMAGING
Protect your cultural heritage and uncover its full potential
Documenting and preserving the priceless artistic, cultural, or scientific assets within your collection for future generations may be the most obvious reason for starting a digitization program. But there are many more benefits to digitally capturing the heritage items on display and the vast number held unseen in storage.
The beauty of paintings, drawings, books, maps, photographs, furniture, costumes, musical instruments, sculpture, and natural history artifacts – as massive as an elephant or as delicate as a butterfly – can live on digitally for endless study and enjoyment. Digitized media presents countless opportunities for enhancing membership programs, boosting visitor engagement with immersive exhibits, developing interactive displays, and other fresh new ideas for programming.
The added beauty of these unique and reusable heritage assets is their use in nurturing relationships with patrons of the arts. Unlock their full potential to tell your museum’s or gallery’s rich and compelling story.
That’s where Pixel Acuity comes in.
Our worldwide client base of major cultural and fine arts institutions knows us as the authority on heritage digitization, with an in-depth understanding of the issues and challenges of working with your precious collections. Pixel Acuity offers specialized skills, techniques and workflow experience, combined with advanced digitization technology purpose-built by our hardware division, DT Heritage. Together, our team of experts in digitization hardware, software, services, and workflow optimization work hand-in-hand to deliver a seamless experience for museum imaging projects of every possible scope.
Bring new life to your museum collection
Today, it’s become vital that every museum, gallery and cultural institution make the most of their assets in ways that are possible only with the highest quality digitization.
- Create new licensing and branding opportunities
- Cultivate patron and donor relationships
- Bring new life and engagement to marketing campaigns
- Captivate museum-lovers with authentic content that tells new stories about the objects in your collection
- Digitally display previously inaccessible and underutilized objects from storage and archives
- Enhance exhibitions and events with immersive experiences
- Take advantage of higher resolution imagery, to discover better and new details about the items in your collection and increase legibility of fine print and small details for viewers
- Compare objects in different geographic locations and over time
- Uncover never before seen details on your cultural heritage materials with multispectral analysis
- Create online galleries of works to stimulate interest and engagement
- Preserve your history — reduce material handling by taking items out of storage and digitizing the items once
- Access and reuse your digitized collection in perpetuity, with the highest appropriate resolution for all applications
- Head off the ravages of time through strategic redundancy
- Research facilitation through remote access
- Protect the original material by converting it into a digital copy that does not degrade
- Prevent counterfeit detection
MEET PIXEL ACUITY
THE EXPERTS IN MUSEUM IMAGING
Meet Pixel Acuity
Pixel Acuity helps art museums and galleries, natural history museums, media and entertainment, as well as libraries, and archives, turn physical artifacts into searchable, accessible digital assets at the highest resolution available today. If you want to digitize your physical collection but don’t have the in-house expertise or bandwidth, then you need Pixel Acuity.
Many companies offer digital imaging services, but no one understands the particular requirements of heritage preservation quite like Pixel Acuity. We have decades of combined experience working inside museum and library imaging departments. We expertly deploy digitization hardware and software designed expressly for cultural heritage applications by our hardware division, DT Heritage, founded by the former Director of Digital Imaging at the American Museum of Natural History. Our cross-functional team of experts blend their unique insiders’ viewpoint with superior technical knowledge to perfect the art and science of heritage digitization.
That’s who will be working for you — on-site and off — from planning through completion.
Why choose Pixel Acuity?
- Not sure where to start, how long it will take, what equipment you need, or how to pay for it? The Pixel Acuity team will help plan your project, including technological assessments and development of timelines and budgets, to determine the best solution for your project.
- Film Scanning: Pixel Acuity has spent the better part of a decade perfecting film scanning workflows that optimize efficiency, fulfill each client’s unique goals, and conform to the highest image quality standards.
- Our specialists will design advanced digitization workflows that blend seamlessly with your daily operations. Our workflow software, DT PixelFlow, uses artificial intelligence (AI) and other techniques to analyze the images and deliver best-in-class optical character recognition (OCR), facial recognition, and metadata generation so that your stakeholders can easily find what they’re looking for when repurposing assets.
- Rare books, manuscripts, room-size paintings, maps, deteriorating film, tabletop art, jewelry, even bees — we’ve brought all of that and more from the material world into the digital realm.
- No need for risk handling, packing, and transporting your fragile, one-of-a-kind items. Wherever your collection is in the world, we’ll bring the team and equipment to you. Learn more about our international capabilities by reading about Pixel Acuity’s recent trip to Estonia.
- Pixel Acuity can produce 130 megapixel images, the highest image quality on the market and more than five times the pixel density now common in Cultural Heritage imaging. Since you’re making the effort to digitize, we make sure the quality stands the test of time — so that you can repurpose it in multiple ways well into the future.
- Our preservation-grade practices meet the highest Cultural Heritage imaging standards, including FADGI, Metamorfoze, and ISO 19264.
- Many of the world’s most respected organizations have trusted Pixel Acuity to digitize their prized collections, no matter their age, condition, size, or shape. Get the full picture by reading our case studies.
COMPLETE END-TO-END SYSTEMS
Industry-Leading Imaging Technology
We fully appreciate the importance of blending seamlessly into your institution’s daily operations, and can digitize your artifacts in our own facility, or on your own site if they can’t be moved from their permanent location. Our digitization hardware, and software enabled by artificial intelligence and other advanced technologies, are designed to work together smoothly with carefully optimized workflows.
- Purpose-built rapid-capture systems create an ultra-high-resolution digital copy of your collection quickly and systematically. The result: minimize cost and radically shorten the time required for capture.
- Pixel Acuity’s DT PixelFlow software enables our team to make the most of digital assets by extracting, analyzing, and transcribing text using optical character recognition (OCR) and applying artificial intelligence (AI) capabilities to provide facial, object, and geographic descriptive metadata information.
- By combining DT Heritage hardware solutions, Pixel Acuity’s artificial intelligence (AI) processing software, and our team’s expertise, we can digitize anything – even deteriorating film or works on paper, and 3D objects like minerals, fossils, plants and animals – at a level of detail you cannot get anywhere else.
MAKE YOUR ASSETS WORK FOR YOU
Find new value in your cultural heritage
Do you know the value of your heritage?
Like many media rights holders, you might have countless historical items sitting in storage — including volumes of news-assignment photos, bound scripts with handwritten director or actor notes, playbills, costumes, set pieces, 3D models, animation cels, old news clippings, production equipment, memorabilia, photos (prints, slides, and film), and so much more.